- Jajpur Road
- M. Rampur
- G. Udayagiri
- Bisam Katak
- S. Rampur
13. The numbers, experience and qualification of members of the Taluk Legal Services Committee under clause (b) of sub-section (2) of section 11-A ,-
- The Taluk Legal Services Committee shall have not more than five members.
- The following shall be the ex-officio members of the Taluk Legal services Committee:-
- Sub-Collector ; and
- Sub-divisional police officer or where the post of sub-divisional police officer does not exist in any Sub-Division, the Circle Inspector of police or the Inspector of Police, as the case may be, posted in the sub-divisional headquarters.
- The State Government may nominate, in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court, other members from amongst those possessing the qualifications and experience provided in sub-rule(4) .
- A person shall not be qualified for nomination as a member of the Taluk Legal Services Committee, unless he is:-
- an eminent Social Worker who is engaged in the upliftment of the weaker sections of the people including Scheduled Castes , Scheduled Tribes, women, children and rural labourers; or
- an eminent person in the field of law ; or
- a person of repute who is specially interested in the implementation of the Legal Services Schemes.
14. The number of officers and other employees of the Taluk legal Services Committee under sub-section (3) of section 11-A,-
The Taluk Legal Services Committee shall have such number of officers and other employees for rendering secretarial assistance and for its day to day functions as are set out in Schedule- D to these rules.
15. The conditions of service and the salary and allowances of officers and other employees of the Taluk Legal Services Committee under sub-section (4) of section 11-A,-
- The officers and other employees of the Taluk legal Services Committee shall be entitled to draw pay and allowances in the scale of pay indicated against each post in Schedule-D to these rules.
- In all matters relating to service conditions like age of retirement, allowances, benefits and entitlements and in disciplinary matters, the officers and other employees of the Taluk Legal Services Committee shall be governed by the State Government Rules as are applicable to persons holding equivalent posts
11A. TALUK LEGAL SERVICES COMMITTEE . –
(1) The State Authority may constitute a Committee, to be called the Taluk Legal Services Committee, for each Taluk or Mandal or for group of Taluks or Mandals,
(2) The Committee shall consist of –
- (a) [the senior-most Civil Judge operating within the jurisdiction of the Committee who shall be the ex-officio Chairman; and
- (b) such number of other members, possessing such experience and qualifications, as may be prescribed by the State Government, to be nominated by that Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court.
(3) The committee may appoint such number of officers and other employees as may be prescribed by the State Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court for the efficient discharge of its functions.
(4) The officers and other employees of the Committee shall be entitled to such salary and allowances and shall be subject to such other conditions of service as may be prescribed by the State Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court.
(5) The administrative expenses of the Committee shall be defrayed out of the District Legal Aid Fund by the District Authority.
11B. FUNCTIONS OF TALUK LEGAL SERVICES COMMITTEE.-
The Taluk Legal Services Committee may perform all or any of the following functions, namely:-
- (a) co-ordinate the activities of legal services in the taluk-
- (b) organize Lok Adalats within the taluk; and
- (c) perform such other functions as the District Authority may assign to it.
12. Secretary of the Taluk Legal Services Committee-
- The Junior Clerk-Cum-Typist of the office of the person performing the functions of the Chairman of the Taluk Legal Services Committee shall act, exercise and perform the duties of the Secretary of the Taluk Legal Services Committee.
- The Secretary shall be the custodian of all assets, accounts, records and funds placed at the disposal of the Taluk committee.
The Secretary shall maintain or cause to be maintained true and proper accounts of the receipts and disbursements of the funds of the Taluk Committee.
- The Secretary shall, with the previous approval of the Chairman, convene meetings of the Taluk Committee and shall also attend meetings and shall be responsible for maintaining a record of the minutes of the proceedings of the meetings.
12A. Term of office of nominated members of Taluk Legal Services Committee,-
The term of office of the members of the Taluk Legal Services Committee nominated under sub-rule (3) of rule 13 of the Rules shall be for three years.
13. Meetings of the Taluk Committee-
- The Taluk Committee shall ordinarily meet once a month on such date and at such place, as the Chairman may decide.
- The Chairman and, in the absence of the Chairman, a person chosen by the members present from amongst themselves shall preside at the meeting of the Taluk Committee.
- The procedure at any meetings of the Taluk Legal Services Committee shall be such as the Taluk Committee may determine.
- The minutes of the proceedings of each meeting shall be truly and faithfully maintained by the Secretary and such minutes shall be open to inspection at all reasonable times by the members of the Taluk Committee. A copy of the minutes shall, as soon as may be after the meeting, be forwarded to the District Authority as well as State Authority
- The quorum for the meeting shall be three including the Chairman or the member presiding over the meeting.
- All questions at the meeting of the Taluk Committee shall be decided by the majority of the members present and voting and, in case of tie, the person presiding shall have a second or casting vote.
14. Funds, Accounts and Audit of the Taluk Legal Services Committee-
- The funds of the Taluk Committee shall consist of such amount as may be allocated and granted to it by the State Authority as also such amounts as may be received by the Committee form time to time either by way of donations or by way of costs, charges and expenses recovered from the legal aided persons or the opposite-party or otherwise.
- The funds of the Taluk Committee shall be maintained in a Schedule Bank.
- For the purpose of meeting the incidental minor charges such as court fee, stamps and expenditure necessary for obtaining copies of documents, etc., a permanent advance of rupees two thousand shall be placed at the disposal of the Secretary of the Taluk Committee.
- All expenditure on legal aid and advice, provisions of other legal services as also expenditure necessary for carrying out the various functions of the Taluk Committee shall be met out of the funds of the Taluk Committee. The Secretary shall operate the bank accounts of the Committee in accordance with the directions of the Chairman.
- The Taluk Committee shall cause to be kept and maintained true and correct accounts of all receipts and disbursements and furnish quarterly returns to the State Authority. The accounts of the Taluk Committee shall be subject to audit under the Orissa Local Fund Audit Act,1948 at least once a year, and any expenditure incurred in connection with such audit shall be paid by the Taluk Committee.